The History of DBY 985 Chassis No. TA 1871
The vehicle was first registered on 4th March 1938 in Croydon, Surrey with a purchase price of £222. The model, first produced in 1936, was the first of the “T” series and was very popular with airmen during the Second World War. Indeed this car was owned by an Arthur Boorman of Tunbridge Wells and he is reported by his nephew to have been a pilot in the RAF during WW2. He was also a motor bike racing enthusiast racing at Brands Hatch. The subsequent history of the car is not known until purchased by the present owner.
The TA was followed by the TB in 1939 but production was short-lived due to the commencement of war. The TC production started in 1946 and externally the only body difference was that the TA had 3 running board rubber strips whilst the TC only had 2.
Only around 3000 TA’s were produced. It has a 1,292 cc engine with a top speed of around 80 mph. There are few TA’s remaining today and very few with the original MPJG engine.
This car was purchased in 1973 by the present owner as a restoration project. Its original colour was black but it was repainted red during the restoration.
The car can only take the driver and 1 passenger and is ideal for the groom or best man to arrive at church in.